Sunday, July 15, 2012

Stairway to Color

The stairway in our living room needed some color.  Since taking our home off the market, we've been slow to rehang photographs and artwork knowing that it'll have to come down again when we re-list the house.  That is, of course, unless it is neutral.

I used to have these three photo frames hung in the living room stairway.  I had sort of outgrown them and never put them back up after taking our house off the market.  A little rain shower in laundry room (busted refrigerator line) last week damaged these pieces and a few other items I had stashed there.  It was the perfect motivation to re-purpose the frames.

So off I set to figure out a way to bring in some color and re-use those frames.  I decided on a fabric at Hobby Lobby.  It wasn't cheap, but it was perfectly neutral and colorful.  The project itself was pretty simple.  I carefully removed the old artwork and backing and cleaned the glass.


Next, I used a piece of sturdy card stock to cut a piece that fit inside the frame.  Once I had one cut, I just duplicated that twice more.  I cut the fabric to allow some overhang on all edges and attached the new fabric with spray adhesive and trimmed the edges.  Tip:  use the straight edge provided by the fabric to line up your card stock correctly.


I then used some masking tape to protect the fraying edges (and my walls).  It also helped to secure the glass and new fabric to the frame itself. 


I am pretty happy with how well it turned out. (And aren't those new hardwood floors beautiful?)

 

And I have some fabric left over.  It might be just enough to cover a bench in our bedroom.  Or it could be a pillow cover.   Coming soon...

1 comment: